The holidays will be here before you know it and along with it comes the busiest time of the year for many. With friends and family coming and going, planning, preparation, shopping, wrapping presents, holiday concerts at school and parties it’s easy to feel a little extra stress this time of year. Along with the hustle and bustle of the season often comes unhealthy sweet treats and rich foods that can wreak havoc on your teeth over time. Still, amidst all the chaos there is no reason why you shouldn’t be happy and enjoy the holidays to the fullest capacity and that starts with a beautiful smile.
Your teeth might not be the first thing you think about when it comes to the holidays but it should! It’s no surprise that your smile is the first thing people notice which is why you should ensure it looks as great as possible. Here are some tips to make your smile infectious this holiday season.
- Try to choose healthy options (think like Rudolph and go for the carrots at the party)
- Visit your dentist! If you’re due for a cleaning, schedule a time to visit us in December! We understand this is a busy time of the year but if you have an appointment scheduled, please honor it and show up! Skipping a dental appointment might land you on the naughty list!
- Drink water instead of sugary and alcoholic beverages
- Pack a toothbrush, dental floss, and a mini tube of paste in your bag to brush and freshen up after treats
- Consider a whitening treatment that you can your dentist are comfortable with
- Brush at least twice a day (more if you are indulging in sweets and other rich foods)
- Don’t forget to floss
- Take it easy on hard sweets such as peanut brittle or candy canes
- Watch out for starchy foods such as chips and cakes
- Everything in moderation (you can still indulge but try to limit your intake of sweets as much as possible.)
- Make sure you are careful if eating nuts or hard foods to avoid cracking, breaking, or harming your teeth and gums.
Visiting the dentist every six months gives you the chance to talk with your doctor and receive answers for any questions you may have about your oral health, including any concerns, whitening treatment, and screenings. Checkups are also a great way for you to find out about new treatments that may benefit your smile. At Walden Square Dental Care we believe that your dental visits should be as comfortable and pleasant as possible. Our staff is dedicated to treating you as a unique individual and to assure that you are happy with the quality and aesthetics of your dental care. Visit us online today or call us to schedule an appointment 847-223-0110.