WHAT TO LOOK FOR WHEN CHOOSING A DENTIST
Wednesday, October 26, 2022 11:39 AM Walden Square Dental, Dental, preventative dentistry, restorative dentistry, family dentistry, grayslake dental
Finding a good dentist to care for your oral health is no small task. With so many dental offices available, with several dentists working at each branch, it can be hard to separate the good, the great, and the bad. Whether you’re unhappy with your current dentist or are moving to a new city, it’s vital that you know how to identify a good dentist to get the dental care you need and deserve precisely when you need it.
Though some patients may have diverse needs than others (for example, those with special needs or other existing health conditions), there are some basic things to ask when searching for your dentist. Here are some of the most important things to look for when choosing a dentist:
- Lifestyle. When considering a dentist, ask yourself if they fit into your lifestyle. Where is their office located? Is it easy for you to get to? How long will it take you to get to an appointment? Are their office hours convenient for your schedule? Or, if you speak another language, is there a dentist available? Or is a translator available? These essential questions can affect your experience with the dentist more than you may be aware of.
- Background and Experience. Study up on the dentists you’re considering and look into their backgrounds, especially if a description is on their website. A brief biography of their education and experience can tell a lot about how long they’ve been practicing and what kind of dentistry they specialize in (such as general dentistry, cosmetic, pediatric, etc.). It may also tell you any associations, licensures, or awards they have won that can back up their accreditation and work. Getting to know a dentist’s prior experience can paint a picture of whether a dentist is a right fit for you.
- Insurance. Let’s face it; dental services are not cheap, so it’s crucial that you find a dentist in your network so you’re not paying huge fees out of pocket. Check for dentists that accept your insurance plan and eliminate those that do not. This is also a good time to learn more about any extra fees they may have, and payment plans they offer if you need help covering the cost of a service. If you’re shopping around, don’t be afraid to call the office and ask for pricing for standard procedures such as cleanings, fillings, or x-rays to see what their general price range is.
- Customer Service. The service you get from both the dentist and the office staff can play a significant part in whether you leave the dentist happy or not. Take the time to talk to different people around the office and speak to the dentist to see what interactions are like. Are people friendly, polite, and patient? Are you comfortable asking the dentist questions, and is the dentist willing to answer questions about maintaining your dental hygiene? Is dental health instruction provided? How do they handle emergencies, and do people in the office seem knowledgeable? If you’re visiting the office, are things kept clean and orderly? Are people wearing gloves or other protective gear? These hugely important questions can make or break your overall experience.
- Recommendations. Last but certainly not least, see if the dentist is recommended by any organizations or groups. Check out your local dental society or the American Dental Association’s (ADA) Find a Dentist tool to look for qualified, experienced dentists. If you already have a trusted doctor, ask them for recommendations of dentists that they may be familiar with and family and friends who may be using a dentist they’ve been working with for years! You can also look for online reviews and testimonials to hear from other patients who have worked with the dentist you’re looking at.
Trust Walden Square Dental with your dental health! Our dedicated team of dentists and dental hygienists is highly trained to care for your teeth, providing various dental services to fit your needs. We believe every dental visit should be welcoming and comfortable, and we work hard to earn your trust. Visit our website and send us a message or call us at 847-223-0110 to schedule an appointment today!